Al-Mustapha Allegedly Narrates How Abacha Died

This story currentlycirculating in themediais ascribed to Major Hamza Al-Mustapha, Chief Security Officer (CSO) of GeneralSani Abacha,who wasNigeria’s military HeadofStatefrom November 1993toJune 1998.
Late Sani Abacha
According to thepiece publishedinCKN Nigeria last year, Al-Mustapha in detail narrates thelast momentsof Abacha’s death and what proceededit. He passed away mysteriously at hispresidential villa inJune 1998. Reportssaidthat he was inthecompany of twoIndian prostitutes who were sent to poisonhim. Theofficials however stated another reason, a heart attack.
READ ALSO: Meet5NigerianEx-Presidents That Died In Office
MeanwhileAl-Mustapha allegedly disclosedwhat really happened to theformercountryleader. Read thepiece in fullbelow:
“When I got to the bedsideof the Head of State, he was already gasping. Ordinarily, I could not just touch him. It was not allowed in our job. But under the situation on ground, I knelt close to him and shouted,“General Sani Abacha, Sir, please grant me permission totouch and carry you.
Contrary to insinuations, speculationsand sad rumours initiated by some sectionsof the society, I maintain that the suddencollapse of thehealth system of the late Head of State started previousday (Sunday, 7th June, 1998) right from the Abuja International Airport immediately after one of the white securityoperativesor personnelwho accompanied President Yasser Arafat of Palestineshook hands with him (General Abacha) I had noticedthe change in the countenanceof the late Commander-in-Chief and informed the Aide-de-Camp, Lt. Col. Abdallah, accordingly. He, however, advisedthat we keep a close watch on the Head of State.
Later in the eveningof 8th June, 1998, around6p.m; his doctor came around, administeredan injection to stabilize him. He was advisedto have a shortrest. Happily, enough, by 9p.m; the Head of State was bouncing andreceiving visitors until muchlater when General Jeremiah Timbut Useni, the then Minister ofthe Federal Capital Territory, came calling. He was fond of the Head of State. They were very good friends.
They stayed and chatted together till about 3.35a.m. A friend of the housewas with me in my office and as he was bidding me farewell, he came back to inform me that the FCT Minister, General Useni was out of the Head of State’s Guest Housewithin the Villa. I then decidedto inform the ADC and other securityboys that I would beon my way hometo preparefor the early morning eventat the International ConferenceCentre.
At about 5a.m; the securityguards ran to my quarters to inform me that the Head of State was very unstable . At first, I thought it was a coup attempt. Immediately, I prepared myself fully for any eventuality.
As an intelligenceofficer and the Chief Security Officer to the Head of State for that matter, I devised a means of diverting the attention of the securityboys from my escape route by asking my wife to continuechatting with them at the door – shewas in the house while the boys were outside. From there, I got to the Guest House of theHead of State before them.
READ ALSO: Late Sani Abacha’s SonCharged With StealingN446 Billion From The Government
When I got to the bedsideof the Head of State, he was already gasping. Ordinarily, I could not just touch him. It was not allowed in our job. But under the situation on ground, I knelt close to him and shouted,“General Sani Abacha, Sir, please grant me permission totouch and carry you.” I again knocked at the stool besidethe bed and shouted in the same manner, yet he did not respond. I then realized there was a serious danger. I immediately calledthe Head of State’s personalphysician, Dr. Wali, who arrived the placeunder eight minutes fromhis house.
He immediately gaveOga – General Abacha – two dosesof injection,one at the heart and another close to his neck. This did not work apparently as the Head of State had turnedvery cold.He then told me that the Head of State was dead and nothingcould be done after all.
I there and then asked the personal physicianto remainwith the dead body while I dashed hometo be fully prepared for the problemsthat might arise from the incident. As soon as I informedmy wife, she collapsedand burst into tears. I securedmy houseand then ran back.
At that point, the Aide-de-Camp had beencontactedby me and we decidedthat great caution must be taken in handling the grave situation.
Again, I must reiterate that the issue ofmy Boss dying on top of womenwas a great liejust as the insinuation that General Sani Abacha ate and diedof poisonedapples was equally a wicked lie. My question is: did Chief M.K.O Abiola die of poisonedapplesor did he dieon top of women? As I had stated at the Oputa Panel, their deaths were organized. Pure and simple!
It was at this point that I usedour special communication gadgets to diplomatically invite the Service Chiefs, Military Governorsand some few elements purportedlyto a meeting with the Head of State by 9a.m. at the Council Chamber. That completed, I also decidedto talk to some former leaders of the nation to inform them that General Sani Abacha would like to meet them by 9a.m.
Situation became chargedhowever, when one of the Service Chiefs, Lieutenant General Ishaya Rizi Bamaiyi, who pretendedto be with us, suggestedhe be madethe new Head of State after we had quietly informedhim of the death of General Sani Abacha. He even suggestedwe should allow him accessto Chief Abiola. We smelta rat and other heads of security agencies, on hearing this, advisedI move Chief Abiola to a safer destination.I managed to do this in spite of the fact that I had been terriblyoverwhelmedwith the crisis at hand.
READ ALSO: ‘BePrepared To Face The Wrath Of God’- Al-Mustapha Attacks Boko Haram
But then, when some junior officers over-heard the suggestionof one of the Service Chiefs earliermentioned, it was suggestedto me that we should finish all the members of the Provisional Ruling Council and give the generalpublic an excusethat there was a meeting ofthe PRC duringwhich a shoot-out occurred betweensome membersof the Provisional Ruling Council and the Body Guards to the Head of State
When I sensedthat we would becontendingwith far more delicate issuesthan the one on ground, I talked to Generals Buba Marwa and Ibrahim Sabo who both promptly advised us – the junior officers – against any bloodshed. They advisedwe contact General Ibrahim Babangida (former Military President) who equally advisedagainst any bloodshedbut that we shouldsupport the most senior officer in the Provisional Ruling Council (PRC) to be the new Head of State.
Since the words of our elders arewords of wisdom, we agreedto support General Jeremiah Useni. Along the line, General Bamaiyi lampoonedme saying, “Can’t you put two and two together to be four? Has it not occurred to you that General Useni who was the last man with theHead of State mighthave poisonedhim, knowingfull well that he was the most seniorofficer in the PRC?”
Naturally, I became furiouswith General Useni since General Abacha’s family had earlier on complainedseverally about the closenessof the two Generals;at that, a decisionwas taken to storm General Useni’s housewith almost a battalion of soldiers to effect his arrest. Again, some heads of security units and agencies, including my wife, advised against the move.
The next most seniorpersonand officer in government was General Abdulsalami Abubakar, who was then the Chief of Defence Staff. We rejected the other Service Chief, who, we believed, was too ambitious and destructive. We settled for General Abubakar and about six of us called him insidea roomin the Head of State’s residence to break the news of the death of General Abacha to him.
As a General with vast experience, Abdulsalami Abubakar, humblyrequestedto see and pray for the soul of General Abacha which we allowed. Do we considerthis a mistake? Because right there, he – Abubakar – went and sat on the seat of the late Head of State. Again, I was very furious.Like I said at the Oputa Panel, if caution was not applied, I would have gunnedhim down.
READ ALSO: SEE Abacha’s Daughters Kissing (PHOTO)
The revolution the boys wereyearningfor wouldhave started right there. The assumptionthat we could not have succeededin the revolution was a blatant lie. We were in full control of the State Houseand the Brigade of Guards. We had loyal troops in Keffi and in some other areas surrounding the seat of government– Abuja. But I allowed peaceto reign becausewe believedit would createfurthercrises in the country.
We followed the adviceof General Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida and the wise counselof some loyal seniorofficers and jointly agreed that General Abdulsalami Abubakar be installed Head of State, Commander-in-Chief of the Nigerian ArmedForces immediatelyafter the burial of General Sani Abacha in Kano. It is an irony of history that the same Service Chief who wanted to be Head of State through bloodshed, later instigated the new membersof the Provisional Ruling Council against us andbranded us killers, termites and all sorts of hopelessnames. They planned, arranged our arrest, intimidation and subsequentjungle trial in 1998 and 1999. These,of course, led to our terrible condition in several prisonsand placesof confinement.”

No comments: